[marc-announce] MARC Meeting This Thursday!

  • From: Jan Peterson <jan.l.peterson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: marc-announce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2022 17:06:25 -0700

Greetings, MARC Members and Friends of MARC!

Once again it is time for our "advanced topics" class.  Please join us on Thursday, 10 March 2022, at 6:30 PM.  As usual, we will be meeting at the Murray Fire Station #81, located at 4848 S Box Elder St (about 35 W).

The class this week will be a replay of the RATPAC session from 2 March 2022.  Yes, I have previewed this presentation and found it very interesting and engaging (unlike our last RATPAC experience).  The topic of the presentation is "HamSCI:  Ham Radio Science Citizen Investigation, Measuring the Ionosphere with Amateur Radio" and was presented by Dr. Nathaniel Frissell (W2NAF) of the University of Scranton.  Dr. Frissell is a Space Physicist and Electrical Engineer, and he will be talking about how the ionosphere works, how signals are propagated, how space weather affects them, and other related topics.  If you have ever wondered how exactly HF radio manages to reach around the world and why the bands are sometimes open and other times closed, you will want to see this presentation.  As a university professor, Dr. Frissell actually knows how to teach!

After the presentation, we will play around with the live data on the Reverse Beacon Network, WSPR Net (Weak Signal Propagation Reporter), and PSK Reporter web sites.

I have also paid for a personal Zoom account, so I will once again be sharing the presentation over Zoom.  The Zoom link is:

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/84298393258?pwd=MnNLMlQ1Yk9BV3NvV09wNkE5M0Fadz09
Meeting ID: 842 9839 3258
Passcode: amateur

If you need a dial-in number and numeric passcode for phone audio, let me know and I'll send it to you.  If you would like an invite to the Google Calendar event, I can send you that, too on request.

Also, don't forget to join us prior to the meeting at 6:00 PM on 233.440 MHz simplex (no PL or offset) for a brief check-in only net.  As usual, this very quick no-traffic net is for us to experiment with various frequencies, bands, and settings on our radios to confirm that we can get in touch with each other in emergency situations when our normal repeater might not be available.

Hope to see you all there!

73 de KD7ZWV
  -jan-

--