[haiku] Re: Defining R1 Features (was Re: Will the WebKit browser be ready for Haiku R1 final?)

  • From: Oliver Tappe <zooey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 10:46:14 +0200

On 2009-10-12 at 06:55:17 [+0200], Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 11:35 PM, Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > An excellent cue to start my usual "let's define a feature set for R1"
> > speech. We shouldn't wait and see what features are ready until R1, because
> > that's just the wrong way around. More an more features will creep in this
> > way and postpone the release further and further -- e.g. the locale stuff is
> > now in the trunk and thus quite likely also in R1, although I think getting
> > it into a polished final release shape (which IMO includes making every
> > application, library, and add-on locale-aware) is a major task that will 
> > hold
> > off R1 longer than necessary.
> I think the Locale Kit should be polished up and made ready for R1 (I
> don't think it needs much more work), but I definitely agree that
> making everything locale friendly is a lot of work (switching
> everything to use the layout API being the biggest thing IMO.) I don't
> think it is critical for a first release of Haiku, and as long as the
> infrastructure is in place (Locale Kit released and debugged) it can
> be done gradually after the release. Plus the release would probably
> inspire new developers to join the project, and I'm sure some would
> help on the localization effort.

From my point of view, the locale kit has been merged into trunk in order to 
give it more *developer*-exposure, not *user*-exposure. 
I am not at all convinced that the locale kit is basically done. The intention 
was to let more developers work on localizing some apps and then learn from 
that experience to improve the locale kit system (and we've already seen 
requests for changes). So I guess there's more work to do.

So I'd say we leave the locale kit out of R1 plans and just remove the Locale 
preflet whenever we start to prepare any beta releases.

We should probably add a build setting that allows for removing locale kit 
support from the build altogether, reducing build time and likeliness of build 


Other related posts: