[haiku] Re: Defining R1 Features (was Re: Will the WebKit browser be ready for Haiku R1 final?)

  • From: "Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 20:03:08 +0200 CEST

Nick <tonestone57@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > But seriously, a
> >  [snip ;]
> > > 6 month release cycle would be optimal & ideal.
> >
> > Optimal depends a lot on the work that has to be done
> > in each window between releases. Major changes need
> > time to break the system and patch it back up again.
> You're right Jonas.  I actually meant optimal in the sense
> that it'll keep momentum going with Haiku.

I agree with you from that point of view. Having something new
and hopefully better to offer regularly (without breaking with
the previous) is definitely a good way to keep people interested.
Both users and developers.

The too short release cycle thing is a problem I heard about
from the OpenBSD developers, IIRC with regards to extensive
changes to its VFS.

/Jonas.