[haiku] Re: Defining R1 Features (was Re: Will the WebKit browser be ready for Haiku R1 final?)

  • From: PulkoMandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 11:08:49 +0200

> I haven't looked too closely, but isn't the number/date/currency formatting
> and parsing even missing or incomplete?

Most of it is there (the preflet already use it). It lacks testing and
exposure. And I may have forgotten some of the functions.

> I wonder whether that is possible at all. Once an application seriously uses
> localization features I'd guess it's more than a few #ifdefs to compile it
> without localization support.

Yes, so either we finish internationalizing everything before R1
(which also means converting every app to use the layout kit), or we
set the defalut language to english, remove the preflet, and no one
will notice it's around.
As for now, it's still possible to cheat by defining a fake
liblocale.so with all functions doing nothing for the catalog part.
Other parts are not used yet.

> I agree with Oliver that the locale kit is not done yet and that it will be
> quite a bit more work before it is. Moreover the plan so far has been not to
> add any major public API in R1. I'm not at all opposed to making the locale
> kit (just as the layout support) available to interested developers as
> *experimental* API, if that is possible. I believe providing new APIs as
> experimental for one or more releases is a good strategy, since without a
> good deal of feedback from developers trying to use that API it is virtually
> impossible to make it excellent. Obviously that strategy doesn't work that
> well, when releases are years apart. Which is why I generally vote for trying
> to achieve shorter release cycles, possibly by cutting features.

Better have it before R1 and have people to use it before they roll up
their own solutions, no ?

--
Adrien.