[haiku] Re: Defining R1 Features (was Re: Will the WebKit browser be ready for Haiku R1 final?)

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 21:54:17 -0400

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 6:11 PM, Zenja Solaja <solaja@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Haiku is not a Democracy - it will not satisfy the *wishes* of its
> community, no matter how noble they may be and how popular the opinions are.
>  Haiku is an Autocracy - the CORE developers (you know, the guys who slave
> away during the evenings, weekends, who sacrifice a lot of things to make
> Haiku happen) have the final say in what features will be developed, when
> Haiku will be released, etc.

Actually Haiku is not an autocracy [1] at all, but more of a
meritocracy [2], where people gain prestige and "power" in the project
by contributing something that others feel is valuable. It also has
some elements of representative democracy, where the developers will
consider the feelings and opinions of users of Haiku and members of
the community when making decisions. But there is no doubt that at the
end of the day decisions are made by members of the meritocracy.

> The only way members of the community can influence the decisions of the
> Autocracy is to actually roll up their sleeves and through hard work become
> a CORE developer.  Subvert from within, so to speak :)

People don't have to be developers even to gain any influence. For
example people like Scott, Urias and Jorge can exert quite a bit of
influence in the project because of their many contributions.

> Having said all that, Haiku release schedules happen whenever the core
> developers say so.  Any other discussion about schedules is a waste of
> electrons - including this post :)

Well the exact dates of releases is certainly our discretion as
developers, since we will be doing all the work. But as Nick says it
doesn't hurt for others to discuss the issues and provide suggestions.
I at least find the 6 month release cycle idea pretty good. We just
need to try it and make sure we limit features to those that can be
done in that time. It takes some discipline but I think it can be
done. Of course this is just my feelings and maybe none of the other
developers agree, in which case I will defer to what the majority
wants.

Either way I think there is much benefit in setting a hard date to aim
for when releasing, to keep feature creep from delaying the release
indefinitely.

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autocracy
2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meritocracy

--