[haiku] Re: Defining R1 Features (was Re: Will the WebKit browser be ready for Haiku R1 final?)

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 22:53:02 -0400

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 5:49 PM, Zenja Solaja <solaja@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I know, this is a Glass Elevator thing, but it completely blows the existing
> package management systems out of the water.  It hasn't been done yet (Steam
> doesn't allow feedback and doesn't host free stuff).  Apple's AppStore is
> the closest thing we have.

I don't know if the AppStore is all that innovative, but I guess it is
a nice implementation. I have certainly had thoughts about having a
nice portal site for Haiku applications with both free and commercial
software and all the features you mentioned (ratings, user
discussions, etc.) I'm sure Karl from Haikuware and other people have
had similar ideas.

I think this will happen some day, but I don't think it should really
have an impact on the R1 release. As you say, it is a Glass Elevator
thing.

--
Regards,
Ryan