[haiku] Re: Defining R1 Features (was Re: Will the WebKit browser be ready for Haiku R1 final?)

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 23:11:06 -0400

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 9:09 PM, Izomiac <haikulist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> -1/2 for me.  Integrating application updates with system updates is a good
> thing IMHO.  Centralizing application distribution is not (again IMHO).  It
> places an unpalatable amount of control in the hands of a third party.  I'm
> sure whoever maintained it would be a fairly benevolent overlord, but I've
> personally never seen the system implemented very well, so clearly it's a
> non-trivial task.

I'm generally in agreement with you on this. We could try to follow
Google's example with Wave and allow for different sites that follow
the same protocol and can all be used in the same way by whatever
built-in Haiku updating system we come up with.

> I do think commercial software licensing should be handled centrally.  My
> first thought would be something akin to steam where you're discouraged from
> "piracy" by tying all your commercial software to a single account.  The
> reason for this is to make commercial application development more
> attractive and to prevent a dozen different and intrusive DRM schemes being
> implemented.

I definitely don't want any kind of DRM in or around Haiku. I think
DRM is a terrible idea that is based on unreasonable fear of
technology, and its whole premise is ridiculous: lock the user out
while also allowing them in.

Solving copyright infringement problems (I hate to use the term
"piracy") is an economic problem. Produce a good product and sell it
at a price that most people would pay and you will do fine. Some
people may still copy it from a friend or download it for free from
some torrent site, but that is just the price of doing business.

With that said, I think centralizing the selling of commercial Haiku
software is smart, and we could certainly offer nice features like
re-downloads of already purchased software, update notifying and
various other benefits of having an account there. Also handling the
details of a merchant account for credit cards and other payment
methods could make it easy for developers to offer apps without having
to do all that themselves. A small percentage of sales could be taken
to keep the site running, and maybe even make a profit for whoever
runs it (which may or may not be the Haiku project itself.)

> As for what should be in R1, I'd say probably locale kit and the webkit
> based browser.  The former so new developers will use it from the start
> rather than be urged to update programs later.  The latter because I suspect
> the lack of a modern browser was the single biggest reason BeOS R5 never
> took off.  BeZilla Browser does put Haiku in a better position, but I don't
> think it's quite enough.

As far as the browser is concerned, I would really hate to become a
bottleneck on the R1 release, but I imagine if it started looking like
that I could get some help. I will try to avoid going down any rabbit
holes as far as implementing more advanced features that could be done
later on.

--
Regards,
Ryan