[haiku] Re: Defining R1 Features (was Re: Will the WebKit browser be ready for Haiku R1 final?)

  • From: Nicholas Otley <nicholasotley@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 17:06:19 +0100

I think that an update system for Haiku should only update system files/official Haiku stuff. 3rd party things should be left well alone.

I want to put things I install where I want to put them, not where some package manager thinks is the best place for them.

A clean separation between church and state^H^H^H^H^H^H^H Haiku system files and 3rd party apps is how I would like my Haiku installs. :)

See WIndows Update and OSX System Update (in concept rather than implementation) for instance.

Kind regards,
Nik

On 12 Oct 2009, at 14:50, Eddy Groen wrote:

I know you may not agree, but I think an updating system and a package
management system is needed for R1. At least some initial basic
version of both, it doesn't have to be the perfect thing we all seem
to want out of the gate. I also don't consider some of the Tracker
refactoring as features but as bugs that should also be resolved
before release.

I agree with that, and I would like to suggest a system like the one available for Ubuntu.

Additionally I would suggest integration with BeBits/Haikuware, including a possibility to check for software updates on either of those sites. It's advisable to get this right from the start.

Eddy