[haiku] Re: Defining R1 Features (was Re: Will the WebKit browser be ready for Haiku R1 final?)

  • From: Michel Clasquin-Johnson <clasqm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 08:23:06 +0200

Zenja, you are technically correct. I would personally identify four layers

1. the elite, the top guns. The devs!

2. Those not good enough to join #1, but good enough to hack on an app or two

3. Enthusiastic users who evangelise on forums and mailing lists

4. Casual users

(I'd self-identify as #3, slowly moving into #2)

Now you are right that #1 makes the decision. But why should that stop 2-4 from making their ideas known? If #1 ignores them often enough, they will just shrug their shoulders and move to ZevenOS :-)

On 14 Oct 2009, at 12:11 AM, Zenja Solaja wrote:

I apologise in advance if this email seems a bit too harsh, but it does
convey a very important fact.

Haiku is not a Democracy - it will not satisfy the *wishes* of its
community, no matter how noble they may be and how popular the opinions are. Haiku is an Autocracy - the CORE developers (you know, the guys who slave away during the evenings, weekends, who sacrifice a lot of things to make Haiku happen) have the final say in what features will be developed, when
Haiku will be released, etc.

Michel Clasquin-Johnson
e-mail: clasqm@xxxxxxxxx
website: http://www.reviewcentral.co.za/