[haiku] Re: Defining R1 Features (was Re: Will the WebKit browser be ready for Haiku R1 final?)

  • From: Nick <tonestone57@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 11:13:52 -0600

> I don't want to upgrade that often. The only other OS around doing
> 6-months cycles is ubuntu, and it does not look to work so well. I
> must say I prefer a feature-based release cycle, with a list of
> features to have (and not to have, eventually), and release when
> that's ready. The cycles could be short depending on the feature set.
> But I'd say a release every 2 years is still fine for most people.

Ubuntu does not work well because it bases its code off Debian unstable
and expects to fix the issues in 6 months time while changing stuff up.
Ubuntu really needs 12+ months to fix the unstable branch - trying to be
cutting edge in a short time does not work well.

OpenBSD has 6 month release cycle.  FreeBSD, 6 to 9 months.

From Wikipedia - Debian
In July 2002, the Project released version 3.0, codenamed woody, a stable
 release which would see relatively few updates until the following release.

The long release cycle employed by the Debian Project during this
time drew
 considerable criticism from the free software community, and
this triggered

the creation of Ubuntu in 2004, to date one of the most influential Debian
forks.

If  2 year release is fine for most then  you can install Alpha1
and run it for 2 years without any updates and see how happy you are in
Sept 2011.  Many would be unhappy doing this.  Using nightlies is an option
but they may be buggy, unstable and unpolished - not ideal for general use.

Ingo makes a good point that for minor changes, 6 to 7 months is good.
For major changes ( going alpha to beta, beta to RC, etc. ), then longer
time frame could be required, like maybe 9 to 12 months.  I still prefer
6 to 9 month release cycle myself, which feels right, and just disable any

unfinished or broken features in the release.

Frequent stable releases will get more  people noticing and using Haiku sooner
and  attract more users and developers.

For instance,

More users  = more money ( from donations & buying store goods)
Extra money  can be used for conferences, Haiku Code Drive, bounties,
hardware purchases, coding events, etc.; bigger community and support

More developers = more help in coding Haiku, greater # 3rd party apps,
more (Unix) ports,

If Haiku stays with feature set releases and these take 1 to 2 years to

finish then it'll take Haiku long time to get to R1.  If Haiku goes with

6 to 9 month release cycle then it'll reach R1 much faster by attracting

more users and developers to help out. ie: like Colin working on Wifi

Regards,

New: Messenger sign-in on the MSN homepage
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9677403