[haiku] Defining R1 Features (was Re: Will the WebKit browser be ready for Haiku R1 final?)

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 00:55:17 -0400

On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 11:35 PM, Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:
> An excellent cue to start my usual "let's define a feature set for R1"
> speech. We shouldn't wait and see what features are ready until R1, because
> that's just the wrong way around. More an more features will creep in this
> way and postpone the release further and further -- e.g. the locale stuff is
> now in the trunk and thus quite likely also in R1, although I think getting
> it into a polished final release shape (which IMO includes making every
> application, library, and add-on locale-aware) is a major task that will hold
> off R1 longer than necessary.

I think the Locale Kit should be polished up and made ready for R1 (I
don't think it needs much more work), but I definitely agree that
making everything locale friendly is a lot of work (switching
everything to use the layout API being the biggest thing IMO.) I don't
think it is critical for a first release of Haiku, and as long as the
infrastructure is in place (Locale Kit released and debugged) it can
be done gradually after the release. Plus the release would probably
inspire new developers to join the project, and I'm sure some would
help on the localization effort.

> IMHO we should as soon as possible define the must-have and nice-to-have
> feature sets for R1 and plan the roadmap to the next releases. As written a
> few weeks ago I'd even say there are no real major must-have features
> missing, meaning we could start with the beta release series now.

I know you may not agree, but I think an updating system and a package
management system is needed for R1. At least some initial basic
version of both, it doesn't have to be the perfect thing we all seem
to want out of the gate. I also don't consider some of the Tracker
refactoring as features but as bugs that should also be resolved
before release.

But besides that I definitely think putting a general freeze on new
features for a few months and just focusing on bugs would be really
useful. There are still a lot of bugs, both those that are logged in
Trac and I suspect many more that are not.

I also think we need to try our best to improve the hardware driver
situation. But I'll write another email with details on that.

> Unfortunately I won't be able to attend the upcoming BeGeistert, but I hope
> the attending crowd will discuss this topic a bit.

It's too bad you can't make it, but I do hope all you folks attending
BG can discuss this some.


Other related posts: