[haiku] Re: Defining R1 Features (was Re: Will the WebKit browser be ready for Haiku R1 final?)

  • From: luroh <lurohh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 19:01:56 +0200

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 3:50 PM, Eddy Groen <eddyspeeder@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> I know you may not agree, but I think an updating system and a package
>> management system is needed for R1. At least some initial basic
>> version of both, it doesn't have to be the perfect thing we all seem
>> to want out of the gate. I also don't consider some of the Tracker
>> refactoring as features but as bugs that should also be resolved
>> before release.
>
> I agree with that, and I would like to suggest a system like the one
> available for Ubuntu.
>
> Additionally I would suggest integration with BeBits/Haikuware, including a
> possibility to check for software updates on either of those sites. It's
> advisable to get this right from the start.

-1
Not that it's up to me to decide, but fwiw, I'm against pulling any
such features into R1. As a lowly user, it's nice to have but
certainly not necessary from my perspective. It would take a lot of
time to implement and increase the system (and testing) complexity
quite considerably. R2 material, in my opinion.

- luroh, hoping for a discussion at BG