[haiku] Re: Defining R1 Features (was Re: Will the WebKit browser be ready for Haiku R1 final?)

  • From: Nick <tonestone57@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 15:13:35 -0600

> I was meaning between official releases (R1, R2). Normal people shouldn't
> care about the alphas.

Yes, but many do care about alphas & betas because Haiku is a differenttype of
OS that they've been waiting 10 years for.  They only use R5because they don't
or didn't feel Haiku was ready yet ( stable enough ).
> So, having 2 years between R1 and R2, you can have 3 alpha/beta versions
> in between
Yes, I was referring to the same.  Multiple alphas & betas on timely basis.
We will just have to disagree because it is a matter of preference.
Feature set release can work well too but you need:1) Reasonable and defined
features for next release ( revisable later on )2) One (or more) developers to
take charge - determine feature freeze date & next release date, at future
point in time. ( when they think it's ready ).
Look at Alpha1.  There was talk about its release for Sept 2008 ( 1 year ago )
back in July 2008 but it never happened because developers wanted to add more
and more features.  Finally, Axel stepped forward and stated that Haikuwas
ready for Alpha1 release and that's why it came out in Sept 2009, otherwise it
may have been 2010 before seeing Alpha1.  Axel handled the role in 2) above.
Without 1) & 2) above, the feature release cycle does not work well - it just
drags out the releases.  I'm hoping that Alpha2 ( or Beta1 ) comes out in 6 to
8 months.  Without a date, it could be 6, 9, 12, 18+ months if more and more
features are added in.  Who can really say.
The release date cycle replaces 2) above with a release date to work towards,
ie: 6 to 9 months - timely releases.  You also can do a feature freeze at month
5, leaving 1 to 4 months to finish off uncompleted features.It also provides a
general release timeframe for end users & lets developersknow ahead of time
when the release will take place ( specific date canbe given closer to actual
release ).
I and many other end users are hoping for a timely Alpha2 release.
Hopefully Axel or Ingo or other developer steps up for role 2) above ifwe stick
with feature set releases.  This way they can be done in timely manner.  This
should work just as good.

Regards,
New! Faster Messenger access on the new MSN homepage
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9677406