[haiku] Re: Defining R1 Features (was Re: Will the WebKit browser be ready for Haiku R1 final?)

  • From: PulkoMandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 19:08:25 +0200

Le Mon, 12 Oct 2009 18:06:19 +0200, Nicholas Otley <nicholasotley@xxxxxxxxx> a écrit:

I think that an update system for Haiku should only update system
files/official Haiku stuff.  3rd party things should be left well alone.

I want to put things I install where I want to put them, not where
some package manager thinks is the best place for them.

A clean separation between church and state^H^H^H^H^H^H^H Haiku system
files and 3rd party apps is how I would like my Haiku installs. :)

See WIndows Update and OSX System Update (in concept rather than
implementation) for instance.

Kind regards,
Nik

The idea for Haiku's package manager is to allow you to put software anywhere, and still warn you when updates are available. All done with some attribute magic of course. And a community-driven "repository" giving only version and dependancy info, but letting the software editor store its packages anywhere.

As for R1 : BeOS compatibility should be the only goal. Locale Kit and Package Manager are then out of scope.

--
Adrien Destugues / PulkoMandy
http://pulkomandy.ath.cx