[haiku] Re: Defining R1 Features (was Re: Will the WebKit browser be ready for Haiku R1 final?)

  • From: Nick <tonestone57@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 23:21:05 -0600

> > >  I'd even say there are no real major must-have features
> > > missing, meaning we could start with the beta release series now.

My opinion and suggestions.

Yes, Haiku seems far along that the next release could likely be
Beta1 rather than Alpha2.  Could decide this later on, in 4 months
time from now & switch to Beta versions.

Release cycle should be every 6 months (+ or - 1 month).

> > But besides that I definitely think putting a general freeze on new
> > features for a few months and just focusing on bugs would be really
> > useful. There are still a lot of bugs, both those that are logged in
> > Trac and I suspect many more that are not.

Yes, few months for late stage Beta (or RC).  But for Alpha2 or Beta1, I'd
suggest spending  4 to 6 weeks prior to release and the rest on
adding in features and improvements.

> > I also think we need to try our best to improve the hardware driver
> > situation. But I'll write another email with details on that.
>
> Well sure, but that requires people to actually write/improve those drivers.
> That's nothing everyone is able/willing to do.

The biggest driver issues are:
1) ATA stack, crashing on some computers or having to disable DMA
2) Video drivers causing system to not boot ( reverting to VESA mode )

1) above is very important to get fixed.
2) above would be nice to fix too, to get 2d accelerated video drivers

Can always check trac & see what common or major driver issues are for
most users and try to fix those at least.  Spending too much time on
drivers leaves less for Haiku.

VESA should provide video for everyone, HDA or OSS should give many sound,
FreeBSD network drivers should give many ( or all ) networking.

Also, speeding up LiveCD, installation to hard drive & usb drive should be
worked on too.  Creating general task list to work & improve certain areas
is good idea and more organized.

As for R1, the quickest  it could be released is in 12-18 months but more
likely 18-24 months from today - just a very basic guess guys.  It should
be enough time to get Webkit browser done & included, and maybe
Wifi support included too.

Regards,

New! Open Messenger faster on the MSN homepage
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9677405