[haiku] Re: Defining R1 Features (was Re: Will the WebKit browser be ready for Haiku R1 final?)

  • From: Truls Becken <truls.becken@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 09:10:31 +0200

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 06:55, Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 11:35 PM, Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> IMHO we should as soon as possible define the must-have and nice-to-have
>> feature sets for R1 and plan the roadmap to the next releases. As written a
>> few weeks ago I'd even say there are no real major must-have features
>> missing, meaning we could start with the beta release series now.
>
> I know you may not agree, but I think an updating system and a package
> management system is needed for R1. At least some initial basic
> version of both, it doesn't have to be the perfect thing we all seem
> to want out of the gate.

Yes, these features are very important. System updating enables
pushing out incremental updates after the release, and package
management is what allows you to (or at least lowers the threshold to)
*not* ship e.g. BeZilla and developer tools in the base system.

I do not think the two should be thought of as entirely separate
features, though. It would be much appreciated if optional as well as
third party packages were updated through the same interface as Haiku
itself.

-Truls