[haiku] Re: Defining R1 Features (was Re: Will the WebKit browser be ready for Haiku R1 final?)

  • From: Michel Clasquin-Johnson <clasqm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 19:07:13 +0200

On 12 Oct 2009, at 6:06 PM, Nicholas Otley wrote:

I think that an update system for Haiku should only update system files/official Haiku stuff. 3rd party things should be left well alone.

I want to put things I install where I want to put them, not where some package manager thinks is the best place for them.

So do I, Nicholas, so do I. But you and I care enough to find out the difference between /boot/apps and /boot/system/apps. The average user (to whom Haiku will go out one day, we all hope) does not. To name just one example.

See WIndows Update and OSX System Update (in concept rather than implementation) for instance.

Well, Apple has it easy with their system of having a directory appear as a fake executable. If the app requires mylibrary.so_2.1.5 it is there in the bundle, and the OS's own mylibrary.so_2.1.1 can be ignored. Makes for big, fat downloads, though.

Michel Clasquin-Johnson
e-mail: clasqm@xxxxxxxxx
website: http://www.reviewcentral.co.za/