[haiku] Re: Defining R1 Features (was Re: Will the WebKit browser be ready for Haiku R1 final?)

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 11:07:25 +0800

On 2009-10-13 at 17:08:49 [+0800], PulkoMandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I haven't looked too closely, but isn't the number/date/currency
> > formatting
> > and parsing even missing or incomplete?
>
> Most of it is there (the preflet already use it). It lacks testing and
> exposure. And I may have forgotten some of the functions.

Ah, OK. I only had a quick look at the headers and didn't see any parsing
support at all (would have expected it in BCountry). I just might have missed
it, though. At any rate the headers need serious cleanup.

[...]
> > I agree with Oliver that the locale kit is not done yet and that it will
> > be
> > quite a bit more work before it is. Moreover the plan so far has been not
> > add any major public API in R1. I'm not at all opposed to making the
> > locale
> > kit (just as the layout support) available to interested developers as
> > *experimental* API, if that is possible. I believe providing new APIs as
> > experimental for one or more releases is a good strategy, since without a
> > good deal of feedback from developers trying to use that API it is
> > virtually
> > impossible to make it excellent. Obviously that strategy doesn't work that
> > well, when releases are years apart. Which is why I generally vote for
> > trying
> > to achieve shorter release cycles, possibly by cutting features.
>
> Better have it before R1 and have people to use it before they roll up
> their own solutions, no ?

I have very little fear that things get worse than they have been for 10+
years.

CU, Ingo