[haiku] Re: Defining R1 Features (was Re: Will the WebKit browser be ready for Haiku R1 final?)

  • From: PulkoMandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 08:27:40 +0200

>> Release cycle should be every 6 months (+ or - 1 month).
>
> That's about the time span I had in mind too. Just not between alphas and
> betas, but between final releases. After all, when starting from a stable
> release it's more or less about 1. adding new features and 2. stabilizing
> them to get to the next stable release. The R1 situation is a bit
> different, since we don't have a stable release yet, but that's exactly why
> I'm so much in favor of getting it done as soon as possible.
>
> CU, Ingo

I don't want to upgrade that often. The only other OS around doing
6-months cycles is ubuntu, and it does not look to work so well. I
must say I prefer a feature-based release cycle, with a list of
features to have (and not to have, eventually), and release when
that's ready. The cycles could be short depending on the feature set.
But I'd say a release every 2 years is still fine for most people.

--
Adrien Destugues / PulkoMandy
Elève ingénieur ENSSAT EII1- www.enssat.fr