[haiku] Re: Some minor suggestions to the Distro Guidelines.

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 11:54:01 +0200

On 2009-10-10 at 17:05:36 [+0200], Jorge G. Mare <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> Ryan Leavengood wrote:
> > On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 2:34 AM, Michel Clasquin-Johnson
> > <clasqm@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >> That sounded good the first time I read it. But do we really want to
> >> make it that easy for any scipt kiddie to bring out his own distro?
> >>

> > I had the same exact thought process, both when reading Ben's email and
> > back when we first started the distro guidelines stuff. While it sounds
> > nice to make things easy, we really don't want to encourage distros. So
> > there is no motivation or good reason to take the time to make it easy
> > to swap out the trademarked images, etc.
> >

> My understanding (from the time I was an admin, back in 2007) was that a
> Linux-style proliferation of distros was not desired. If that has not
> changed, then the guidelines should reflect this stance by putting all
> the burden of distro making on the distro makers.

This is still the case.

> In other words, what your guidelines should say and how it says it must
> be a reflection of what your general strategy is with regards to
> distributions. You need clearly defined goals first, and only then can
> you draft something that meets those goals; unfortunately, it does not
> work the other way around.

100% agreed. We don't want to encourage distros, and we should not put in
work to make it more easy to make them. Anyone can make one, but they must
follow the rules the project has set up for it's trademarks. If they are
incapable of changing a few strings and bitmaps, they should not make a
distro, simple as that. Jorge, if you feel like improving the text to bring
this across in a nice way, please go ahead! :-)

Best regards,
-Stephan