[pure-silver] Re: Under exposed frame

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 17:02:27 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Justin F. Knotzke" <jknotzke@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, January 08, 2005 4:28 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Under exposed frame

>    I spent much of the afternoon using the various methods
> outlined
> here for getting this frame from hell to print.
>
>   Good News! It came out. Rather nice too.
>
>    I used the split contrast method and then dumped them
> in selenium
> 1+20 for 8mins. I used FB Glossy and I rather like the
> outcome.
>
>    I do need to find a better way to wash these prints. I
> also need to
> get myself some screens to dry.
>
>    Has anyone ever tried using an clothes iron to dry
> mount?
>
>    If it's too hot, I have a Swix waxing iron which isn't
> anywhere near
> as hot.
>
>    Thanks again,

> --
> Justin F. Knotzke
> jknotzke@xxxxxxxxxx
> http://www.shampoo.ca

   Ready made window screens work fine and are easy to
clean.
   When I was in high school, and cound't afford a dry
mounting press, I used an iron. It can be done but the
temperature is critical. Most clothes irons will not run
cool enough. The procedure is similar to that used with the
press.
   Flatten out the prints by placing them between sheets of
heavy construction or kraft paper. Iron on a flat surface
and place a flat weight on top until cool. The best weight
is sheet Aluminum but even wood will do, it just cools more
slowly.
   Tack the paper as for the press, at a point along one
edge. Do NOT follow the Kodak method of making an X in the
center of the print, that will gurantee uneven adhesion.
   I use the method of fusing the adhesive to the paper
first and then trimming it and fusing it to the mount. That
way you have only one interface at a time to keep free of
bubbles and waves.
   For use with an iron tack the tissue to an edge as above.
then cover the print on both sides with release tissue
(which can be reused). Pad it on both sides with
construction paper. Iron the tissue in place by beginning on
the side that is tacked and working your way along to the
free end. Place the sandwich under the weight for a few
minutes. This should result in the print being evenly fused
to the mounting tissue all over. Trim the print to the
desired size. The mounting tissue will, of course, be
trimmed with it.
   Then, place the pint on the mount and tack it, again at a
point on one edge. Cover it with a sheet of release tissue
and pad it with the construction or kraft paper. Iron it
from the tacked edge to the open edge making sure the tissue
has fused everywhere. Place the entire sandwich under the
weight and allow it to cool. This should result in a perfect
mounting. Its more work than with a press but does work.
   The key thing is to keep track of the temperature of the
iron. Many have thermostats. Measure the temperature with
something like a meat thermometer so that it is at the
temperature specified for the mounting material. It will
cool a bit when you begin to iron the tissue. A massive iron
will hold its temperature better than a light one. If you
use a steam iron make sure there is no water in it.

---