[pure-silver] Re: Under exposed frame

  • From: "richard l. gifford" <rlgif@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2005 12:32:33 -0600

I'm not sure what preflashing has to do with salvaging
  the thin negative under discussion, and I admit I
haven't looked at the image.  But on the subject of
preflashing, without regard to any particular image, I
wonder why you would use half the light that produces
the least amount of fog.  When I have a real problem, I
use all the light that produces no fog.  We might not
be that far apart, but this is a desperation move for a
problem that doesn't yield to burning, so I test for
what is actually used.  Sure, this might create havoc
with good highlights elsewhere in the print, so I
preflash only the area needed.

A handier way to apply this is to use a separate light
so you don't have to mess with your enlarger setup when
you find you need it.  I use a 00 filtered 4 watt night
light at the ceiling, partially masked so I wind up
around 7 seconds.  The distance makes the offset
insignificant.  (11x14 from 4x5 with 165mm lens, plenty
of room to get by the lens stage, YMMV).  I have
switches to select which system is active so I can use
the foot switch for all functions.  Got a thick spot?
Flip a switch, preflash the area, flip a switch, get on
with it without losing your train of thought.  Also no
guessing at how many sheets you might need.

I wouldn't call flashing an exotic procedure in my
darkroom.  Given my penchant for separating shadows,
any surprises in my negatives are more likely to be too
dense.

regards...   Dick Gifford