[pure-silver] Re: Under exposed frame

  • From: "Justin F. Knotzke" <jknotzke@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2005 10:41:17 -0500

<quote who=Gene Johnson date=[03/01/05 09:36 AM]/>
> I could print this pretty much straight up.  The exposure's not that bad and
> it's a nice scene. Your highlights and mids look fine.  The "problem" shadow
> areas are a black dress in shadow and the inside of a fireplace in shadow.
> I don't think there's much in those areas to get no matter what you do.  For
> me, the hardest part is the face of the woman on the left.  Pre-flashing
> might help get more detail there, but it might have an unwanted affect on
> your highlights.  i might dodge that area a "little".  Not much more than
> about 20% of the overall exposure time or it will get even muddier than it
> already is.  That alone might be enough depending on how fussy you want to
> be.

     I find my scanner always seems to scan at a much higher exposure
rate then I would like. I almost always have to crank down the exposure
to .5 or .3 on vuescan. Otherwise, everything is just too bright.

     But it amazes me that the scanner can pick this up no problem. Yet
on a properly exposed contact print, any prints and even looking through
a loupe, I can't really make out too much detail: everything is just too
dark.

     Also sorry to all if I confused everyone's approaches. As you can
see I am rather new to anything other then a straight print. Straight
printing I could do nothing with this frame. Everything was way too
dark. If I printed it lighter, I couldn't get any blacks. I felt like I
had no play in the print.

     I don't much care for the girl on the left (my sister) I mean.. in
the print, my sister is pretty cool.. ;-) I am mostly concerned with
getting the middle girl's eyes. That's the frame for me. Then if I can
get the highlights in the girl on the right's hair, I am off to the races.

     But trying to get the girl in the middle properly exposed, her hair
comes out gray when really it's black. If I try to get her hair a
convincing black, her face is too dark.

     So I am going to try flashing the paper and if that doesn't work
try split printing as suggested here (not really the method I originally
proposed).

     Thanks again to everyone,

Justin F. Knotzke
jknotzke@xxxxxxxxxx