[pure-silver] Re: Under exposed frame

  • From: Ryuji Suzuki <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2005 14:47:01 -0500 (EST)

From: "Justin F. Knotzke" <jknotzke@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pure-silver] Under exposed frame
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2005 10:11:24 -0500

>      I can scan it and with some tuning in photoshop can get what you
> see above. But attempting to wet print it is nearly impossible. It's
> simply too dark. I didn't have enough light and I didn't want to use a
> flash so I underexposed and hoped for the best..

That's why digital technology is great and you should take advantage
of it when needed!

But if you are using a multicontrast paper, you can try to print for
the midtone, perhaps to be on a bit lighter side. Then you can switch
the filter to 5 and give additional exposure. The second exposure
should be adjusted so that the shadow is significantly darker but
without darkening midtone too much.

If you somehow manage to get the midtone/shadow right but not enough
highlights, use dilute ferricyanide bleach, or possibly ammonium
thiosulfate - citric acid bleach. The latter is more limited and also
very slow working.

I'd also burn in the bottom, center to right (floor).

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Keep a good head and always carry a light camera."