[pure-silver] Re: Under exposed frame

  • From: DarkroomMagic <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: PureSilverNew <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2005 21:51:53 +0100

Justin

Nice image, worth a try!

Underexposed negatives have too small of a density range and need harder
than normal paper. Overdeveloped negatives have too much and need softer
than normal paper. Underexposed AND overdeveloped negatives are the hardest
to print, because they have no shadow detail but a huge contrast.

From what you tell us, it might just be just underexposed having trouble
with the shadows. In that case, I would start with a fairly hard grade and
test-strip until the highlights have the right exposure, ignoring the
shadows at first. Then adjust the contrast to get the shadows right, while
keeping highlight exposure on track.

If you've done that, and your hardest grade was not enough to get the
shadows dark enough, then do what Ryuji suggested, and up the exposure with
your hardest grade until the shadows improve and bleach the (now too dark)
highlights with farmers reducer. This technique simple gives the paper
contrast an additional boost. Otherwise, always expose for the highlights
and control shadows with paper contrast.

Final shadow improvement can be made through selenium toning, but don't
expect too much from that.

Before I forget, I also recommend to burn-in the front carpet. Tell us how
it went through another post.

Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht