[pure-silver] Re: Under exposed frame

  • From: "richard l. gifford" <rlgif@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2005 13:28:55 -0600

Justin F. Knotzke wrote:

(snipped)
> ... Preflashing ...
>      What exactly will this do BTW?

There is a small amount of light needed to bring the
emulsion up to the point where it will start to show an
image.  When a negative is too dense to push this much
light through by burning, you can help it along by
preflashing.  What you are doing is bringing the paper
up to the threshold, the point where any more light at
all will record.  Some negatives are bullet proof, you
couldn't drive light through them with a Zone System
hammer.  Some negatives let enough light through that
when added to the preflash they will print tone and
detail, or they will print it better than you can get
by burning alone.  This is where preflashing can
salvage a negative.  You want to preflash with soft
filtration, it is that part of the emulsion you need to
help to respond, and you want to burn in with soft
filtration.  Think low contrast, where you are pulling
highlights down.  You are trying to pull these blown
out highlights down to where they will show.

Again, I don't know how this applies to salvaging an
underexposed (thin) negative.  I apologize for not
following the thread, where I would probably see that
someone is giving good advice about various ways to
deal with resulting highlight problems while printing
the underexposed shadows optimally.

Welcome to the world of printing controls.

Regards...  Dick Gifford