[pure-silver] Re: Adding Pot Bromife to PC-TEA

  • From: "John Black" <jblack@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 17:09:44 -0500

> Ideally, I would start with a carefully formulated developer to avoid
> all these issues. What is the aim of dealing with a developer with
> troubles like this?
>
> I'd not even consider ammonium salt in a fine grain developer.
> Tertiary amines like triethanolamine is a way to control the solvent
> effect of ammonium ion. If KBr doesn't work, I would look into
> 6-nitrobenzimidazole or 1-phenyl-5-mercaptotetrazole. The latter is
> used in quantity like 2-20mg per liter of working solution anyway.
> --
> Ryuji Suzuki

Or, use a modest boric acid solution, say 5-10gm/L of water as diluent to
lower the pH and anti-fog is not needed. An equal amount of sulfite may be
necessary to restore PC activity.  PC/TEA diluted 1:50 in water as Gainer
suggests has a pH of greater than 9.0 and that's where the fog comes from.

JB