[pure-silver] Re: Adding Pot Bromife to PC-TEA

  • From: Ryuji Suzuki <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 17:42:17 -0500 (EST)

From: Jordan Wosnick <jwosnick@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Adding Pot Bromife to PC-TEA
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 16:59:30 -0500

> Anyone wanna try conductivity measurements?

I don't think ionized state is of that much importance to photography
here. What I think is most interesting is to run cyclic voltammetry to
find effective ligand for ferrous ions at pH of 8.

> *except* with
> Tri-X, which gives me unacceptable fog. Not sure why, as I have no
> fog problems with FP4+ and HP5+ (my usual films). I have not tried
> the TEA version as my year-old PC-glycol stock is going just fine
> and I have no desire to buy more chemicals than I need.

New Tri-X is somewhat strange. I would not develop this film in the
same tank as other films even if the development times individually
obtained are the same. This is particularly true with DS-10 and
probably XTOL.

> Benzotriazole should be soluble in both TEA and propylene glycol
> and could be a solution to those getting too much fog. There are
> other threads about this issue on APUG at the moment.

I don't know about zillion variants of Gainer formulae with
unspecified pH, but for film developers like DS-10, I'd use bromide or
6-nitrobenzimidazole.  For low sulfite accutance developers, I'd use
1-phenyl-5-mercaptotetrazole in a very small quantity.  Benzotriazole
is fine for print developers. Also, there are many benzotriazoles and
unless you buy one from lab supply house, you never know which one you
are using! (1H-, 1Cl-, 1Br- or 5-methyl or other-benzotriazole.)
--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Keep a good head and always carry a light camera."