[pure-silver] Re: Adding Pot Bromife to PC-TEA

  • From: Sandy King <sanking@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 18:05:56 -0500

I experimented with Pat Gainer's PC-TEA solution in the spring and
found that it produced too much fog for my taste. After some testing
I found that about 0.2 g of potassium bromide per 100ml of PC-TEA
brought the B+F of Ilford FP4+ down to about log 0.08 without any
loss of emulsion speed. That is a fairly well formulated solution in
my estimation. I also tested benzotriazole with the PC-TEA formula
and found that about 1ml of a 1% solution of benzotriazole mixed in
glycol could be added to the PC-TEA stock solution, with about the
same results in terms of reduction in B+F.

One could also take other steps to lower the alkalinity of the
working solution, but that would be a lot more complicated than
simply adding bromide or benzotriazole, and to what purpose? Would
this give negatives of finer grain, more effective emulsion speed or
more acutance?

Sandy