[pure-silver] Re: Adding Pot Bromife to PC-TEA

  • From: "Koch, Gerald" <gkoch02@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 16:49:46 -0500

I worried about this too.  The solution does darken but still works.

I have found that you don't have to heat the solvent as hot as Gainer suggests.
I put the TEA or glycol in a beaker and add the ascorbic acid.  I start heating
the contents in the microwave in 10-15 sec intervals.  I stir the solution after
each heating to see if all the solid will dissolve.  When it finally does I then
add the Phenidone or Dimezone-S.  This way the solution does not get overheated.

The bromide is another matter since it is an ionic solid and should not be
soluble in non-ionic solvents.  In fact I did not consider its use it until I
read that someone else was adding a small amount to the concentrate.  About a
quarter of a gram will dissolve with some difficulty in 100 ml of pure TEA or
1:1 TEA/glycol.  Best to grind the potassium bromide to a powder first.  Back in
the days of wet plates they used lithium bromide because it was soluble in
ether.  This chemical is hard to get but ammonium bromide is also soluble in
ether.  In light of this, I suspect that it would be more easily soluble than
the potassium bromide.