[pure-silver] Re: Adding Pot Bromife to PC-TEA

  • From: "Koch, Gerald" <gkoch02@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 15:51:38 -0500

I had poor results with Gainer's original formula which I list below for
discussion purposes.

Pat Gainer's Original PC-TEA Developer

TEA ................ 100    ml
Ascorbic acid ......   9    g
Phenidone ..........   0.25 g

The negatives had an unexceptable level of developer fog and lacked contrast
even though the density was fine.  Attempting to get more contrast caused the
density to become too high.

A few weeks ago Gainer changed the formula in an APUG post by reducing the
amount of Phenidone to 0.225 g.  This helped a bit with the contrast/density
problem.  Soon after that someone suggested adding 0.25 g of potassium bromide
to the concentrate.  This really cleaned up the negatives and greatly improved
the contrast/density problem.

I still was not completely satisfied and decided to cool the action by reducing
the amount of TEA and by substituting Dimezone-S for the Phenidone.  I think the
Gainer formula has too much Phenidone in relation to the amount of ascorbic
acid.

The formula that I am testing now is

TEA ................  50    ml
Propylene glycol ...  50    ml
Ascorbic acid ......   9.0  g
Dimezone-S .........   0.25 g
Potassium bromide ..   0.25 g

The fog problem is gone and tonal separation is what one would wish from a good
developer.  Development time was a bit longer 8 minutes instead of 7-1/2.  I am
very happy with results so far but will continue testing with other films.

The TEA has some solvent action on silver halide and therefore produces finer
grain than using some other accelerant such as metaborate.

Jerry