[pure-silver] Re: Adding Pot Bromife to PC-TEA

  • From: Jordan Wosnick <jwosnick@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 16:59:30 -0500

John Black wrote:

> I mean disolve in the context of water solution where ionization takes
> place.  Neither component is ionized in these solvents.

Phenidone doesn't have much in the way of an acidic hydrogen atom,
but ascorbic acid certainly does (first pKa is 3.8 or so). I can't
imagine that dissolving it in triethanolamine, which is a strong
base as well as a decent hydrogen-bond former, doesn't ionize it to
at least a small degree. Anyone wanna try conductivity measurements?

Also, re: the fog issue -- I have never had a fog problem with
Gainer's developers (either the two-stock metaborate-activated
version or the PC-glycol with carbonate activator) *except* with
Tri-X, which gives me unacceptable fog. Not sure why, as I have no
fog problems with FP4+ and HP5+ (my usual films). I have not tried
the TEA version as my year-old PC-glycol stock is going just fine
and I have no desire to buy more chemicals than I need.

Benzotriazole should be soluble in both TEA and propylene glycol
and could be a solution to those getting too much fog. There are
other threads about this issue on APUG at the moment.

Cheers to all

Jordan