[pure-silver] Re: Ralph Lambrecht / EM10 enlarging meter?

  • From: Ryuji Suzuki <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 17:49:43 -0500 (EST)

From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Ralph Lambrecht / EM10 enlarging meter?
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 14:37:38 -0800

> It is more sensitive than my Luna-Pro, certainly much faster in very
> dim light.

I shoot nightscapes and I have to have very sensitive light meter!
(Calculite XP)

>    Speaking of old favorite papers, I recently tested some
> very old Agfa Brovira. This is probably paper given to me by
> a friend who closed his darkroom and must be more than
> twenty years old. It seems to print without fog and at
> normal speed. I have rather a lot of old graded paper and
> will be testing it in the near future. My past experience is
> that Agfa paper is very long lived.

I was given a few packs of Portriga Rapid, but all are badly fogged
and unusable. They can be usable for hypo alum toners but I don't use
it...

All good known stabilizers, perhaps besides mercury compounds which I
have no experience with (and industry shouldn't be using by now), make
image hue cool so warmtone papers may be more difficult to stabilize
in general. I've asked a couple of emulsion experts and a processing
expert but they had no idea how I could stabilize chloride emulsion
without losing warmtone property.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Keep a good head and always carry a light camera."