[pure-silver] Re: Ralph Lambrecht / EM10 enlarging meter?

  • From: "Ole Tjugen" <oftjugen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 20:44:37 +0100

A couple of days, and I'll have an article ready for APUG on this.

My basic procedure is to place the meter in a highlight, adjust aperture
and/or neutral filter until I get the green light at 85, then read the
shadow. Based on this second reading I look up in a table to find the
filtration (or best graded paper) for this span. I then set the contrast
filtration, twiddle the aperture and neutral density until I get 85 in the
highlights again, and expose for a fixed time (10s on Ilford MG IV). This
should give me a decent test print with all the tones in place. If I see
 from the negative that I'll want to dodge/burn heavily, I'll just measure
corresponding points in the main area of interest. While I'm doing this I
can also read other areas in the same way, giving a good indication of how
much burning and dodging will be necessary to get the result I want. These
findings are always ignored after seeing the test print, of course.

Ole Tjugen