[pure-silver] Re: Ralph Lambrecht / EM10 enlarging meter?

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 13:12:57 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "DarkroomMagic" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "PureSilverNew" <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, January 08, 2005 12:58 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Ralph Lambrecht / EM10 enlarging
meter?

>I fully agree.
>
> In addition, I find test strips extremely useful and
> wouldn't want to
> eliminate them completely. I have used the EM-10 but have
> switched now to
> the RHDesigns ZoneMaster, which is head and shoulders
> above any other meter
> I've seen. However, I use it to give me starting points
> for exposure and
> paper contrast. Then I do test strips in small increments
> (1/12 stop for
> exposure and 1/4 grades for contrast) to get to the 'best'
> work print. This
> allows me to make predictions for the final grade (which I
> do down to 1/8
> grade) and get started with local exposure  and contrast
> optimizations.
>
> I would feel handicapped without the meter, but also
> without test strips. I
> want to see the whole spectrum from too light to too dark,
> and from too soft
> to too hard, to make the final print.
>

> Regards
>

> Ralph W. Lambrecht

   I use test strips mainly to find a starting point. The
EM-10 gives me a good idea of starting exposure but it took
quite a bit of work to learn where to place it in an image.
After that I have to print full prints to decide the final
exposure and contrast. For serious work I have to look at
these tests dry the next day. I learned that quite often
prints I tossed were actually better than the ones I kept.
Over time I've calibrated my eye better but I have had to
learn not to judge too much from the way the print looks in
the developer. Also, some papers will look a bit low
contrast until after they have cleared in the fixing bath. I
can see the effect in about the first 30 seconds (sodium
fixer). For some of the older graded papers it was
considerable.
   I don't have the RH designs meter but it appears to be
much more sophisticated than the little EM-10 and has a very
good reputation. Perhaps a future purchase.

---