[pure-silver] Re: Ralph Lambrecht / EM10 enlarging meter?

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 08:11:43 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "titrisol" <titrisol@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, January 06, 2005 6:59 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Ralph Lambrecht / EM10 enlarging
meter?

> Hi
> I remmeber seeing an article from Ralph Lambrecht a while
> ago
> about using the Ilford EM10 for determining the exposure
> time
> and contrast required for a print.
> Anybody knows where to find a copy of it?
> At least a copy of the curve?
>
> Thanks

    I don't have Ralph's paper but he is a member of this
list. I use an EM-10. Its possible to calibrate the dial in
stops so that it can be used as a crude densitometer. It
isn't really sensitive enough to measure denser areas of the
negative and is very slow for them. However, it can give a
guide to the required paper contrast with some patience. One
must learn to choose the right parts of the negative to
measure the ratio of densities that are to be printed.
Negative materials can record a much longer range of
densities than printing paper can reproduce, at least, at a
visually acceptable contrast.
   I calibrated my EM-10 by using the iris of an enlarging
lens and checking against another. Make sure you stop down
about two stops before using this method to eliminate the
non linearity that can come from vignetting. A better way
would be to use neutral density filters of known value.
    Jones, Nelson, and others at Kodak Labs discovered long
ago that mid range tones are the most important to the eye.
If the mid tones are good the eye will accept shadows and
highlights which are lacking somewhat in detail. Generally,
these will be within the range of the EM-10. The measurement
is made by placing the sensor in the area of interest and
turning the dial until the green green light goes on.

---