[pure-silver] Re: Under exposed frame

  • From: <genej2@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 8:45:06 -0500

> Hey justin,

You got it just right. Once you determine the flashing exposure time, go ahead
and flash the number of sheets you think you will need to make your prints.
Then make test strips from one of the flashed sheets, insert and focus your
negative, and start working out your exposure for printing.

What pre flashing does basically is sensitize the paper.  The paper after
flashing has now recieved all the light it can without recording an image.
From here in, any light that hits that paper is going to leave an imprint.  The
reason for doing this is to give your negative every chance it has to register
detail in the highlights, while still giving you some good black.  If you're
using contrast filters, i would do the pre-flash using the lowest possible
contrast filter in place.  This way,you're sensitizing the part of the emulsion
responsible for the highlights, without affecting the shadows overly much

I don't know if you're familiar with split printing, but this might be a good
negative to try it out on. I won't even try to explain the whole process
here(e-mail me or do a web search), but I'll just say that since you will be
doing some burning, You can use either the 00 filter or the 5 filter to burn
with.  The 00 burning will affect mostly the highlights, and the 5 burning will
affect mostly the shadows.
> From: "Justin F. Knotzke" <jknotzke@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: 2005/01/03 Mon AM 08:27:55 EST
> To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Under exposed frame
>
> <quote who=J.R. Stewart date=[02/01/05 10:54 PM]/>
> > I bet that works Rob. Preflashing has saved me a couple times.  It's not a
> > common procedure. Justin will have to determine the amount of flash that
> > produces the least amount of fog using non-image forming light, then half
> > that to preflash the paper-- as a reference point, my preflash exposure is
> > about 3 seconds with my 135 mm lens stopped down to f45 and about 25 inches
> > away from the base board. A simple test strip should work, Justin.
>
>      When I test strip, what am I looking for? I simply flash until I
> start to see fog and then half that for my actual print?
>
>      What exactly will this do BTW?

> --
> Justin F. Knotzke
> jknotzke@xxxxxxxxxx