[pure-silver] Re: Under exposed frame

  • From: Ryuji Suzuki <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2005 09:09:23 -0500 (EST)

From: "Justin F. Knotzke" <jknotzke@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Under exposed frame
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2005 08:28:41 -0500

>      My plan, after having read your kind posts and talking with some
> friends is to:
>
>      1) Make a test strip using 5 filter to get blacks and note the time.
>      2) Expose the paper with this time and then make a second
> exposure/test strip to get highlights.

It's a reversed order from my usual procedure but I guess it'll work
the same. It's just that I can estimate the second exposure (with G5
filter) easily based on what I get in the plain raw print.

>      I will stop the lens down as much as possible and then go from there.

I doesn't harm but I don't think that's necessary.
(Why does/should it help?)

>      If that fails, I am going to try to pre-flash (which I have never
> done). If that fails, I'll go digital *sigh*.

Flashing the paper can only reduce highlight contrast. I don't think
you want that, unless your base exposure requires very high contrast
to render the main subjects with natural contrast, and it makes
highlight too hard. This part is hard to tell because you didn't show
the raw image, or explain the details of your photoshop
manipulation. So I'm just giving one possibility.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Keep a good head and always carry a light camera."