[pure-silver] Re: Under exposed frame

  • From: "Gene Johnson" <genej2@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 07:00:44 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ryuji Suzuki" <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, January 03, 2005 6:36 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Under exposed frame

> From: <genej2@xxxxxxx>
> Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Under exposed frame
> Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2005 08:49:04 -0500
>
> > What you're describing here is split printing :)
>
> What I recommended to him yesterday using two exposures is not split
> printing. I even inserted a note saying that the similarily is only
> superficial resemblance.
>
> The procedure makes 2 exposures. One exposure is with normal contrast
> filter for the image. It may be grade 2 or 3 or whatever suitable for
> the image and the negative. Not with grade 0 or 00. Another exposure
> is with the highest contrast filter, typically grade 5, but the
> exposure is adjusted such that this second exposure does not affect
> the contrast or density of the highlight and midtone. The role of the
> second exposure is merely to increase the shadow contrast and density,
> which is typically what you need with underexposed negatives.
> --
> Ryuji Suzuki
> "Keep a good head and always carry a light camera."

Ryuji,
I was just responding to what he wrote.  Except that he didn't specify which
filter he would use to expose the highlights, sounded like split printing to
me.
Gene

"I am going to take one more stab at this before going the digital
route.

     My plan, after having read your kind posts and talking with some
friends is to:

     1) Make a test strip using 5 filter to get blacks and note the time.
     2) Expose the paper with this time and then make a second
exposure/test strip to get highlights.

     I will stop the lens down as much as possible and then go from there.

     If that fails, I am going to try to pre-flash (which I have never
done). If that fails, I'll go digital *sigh*.

     Thanks again,

     J"