[pure-silver] Re: Under exposed frame

  • From: Ryuji Suzuki <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2005 12:28:37 -0500 (EST)

From: DarkroomMagic <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Under exposed frame
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2005 18:19:44 +0100

> Making two separate exposures at two different paper grade
> filtrations is referred to as split-grade printing. The two grades
> can but don't have to be at the softest and hardest filtrations,
> they can be any two different filtrations. Many practitioners use
> grade 1 and 4 to split-grade for example.

What I proposed has fundamentally different objective than what you
described. Split printing aims to achieve intermediate contrast by
combining a very soft and a very hard contrast filter. My technique
does not seek an intermediate contrast.

Instead, grade 2 or 3 or whatever filter is used as necessary to print
the important parts of the print with natural contrast. Second
exposure with grade 5 is used only as a way to selectively manipulate
shadows without affecting highlight and midtone contrast.

Procedure is superficially similar but the aim and the end result are
different.
--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Keep a good head and always carry a light camera."