[pure-silver] Re: Under exposed frame

  • From: Christopher Woodhouse <chris.woodhouse@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 17:48:31 +0000

That is not my practical or sensitometric experience, on Agfa, Ilford or
Kodak paper. I use a Multigrade 500 head with an Analyser Pro controller.
Grade 2 is made with two exposures, one green and one blue. The result is
IDENTICAL to using a white light source and filtration. Adding some more
grade 5 (ie blue light) just changes the overall grade of the final total
exposure. It makes no difference if you combine grade 0 and 5 or grade 2 and
5, in appropriate proportions to achieve the same highlight density and
overall ISO[R].

Above the threshold, the halide system is continuous, irrespective of the
emulsion combination. There is no threshold effect in play if the grade 2
exposure gives the required highlight tone. The grade 5 exposure is merely
adding to the existing density of the shadows.

The ONLY time you can bend a characteristic curve by means of fiddling with
the exposure is with flashing, and then, only with a light source with
little blue content.

Chris Woodhouse

On 3/1/05 5:28 pm, "Ryuji Suzuki" <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From: DarkroomMagic <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Under exposed frame
> Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2005 18:19:44 +0100
>
>> Making two separate exposures at two different paper grade
>> filtrations is referred to as split-grade printing. The two grades
>> can but don't have to be at the softest and hardest filtrations,
>> they can be any two different filtrations. Many practitioners use
>> grade 1 and 4 to split-grade for example.
>
> What I proposed has fundamentally different objective than what you
> described. Split printing aims to achieve intermediate contrast by
> combining a very soft and a very hard contrast filter. My technique
> does not seek an intermediate contrast.
>
> Instead, grade 2 or 3 or whatever filter is used as necessary to print
> the important parts of the print with natural contrast. Second
> exposure with grade 5 is used only as a way to selectively manipulate
> shadows without affecting highlight and midtone contrast.
>
> Procedure is superficially similar but the aim and the end result are
> different.
> --
> Ryuji Suzuki
> "Keep a good head and always carry a light camera."

Regards Chris Woodhouse