[pure-silver] Question on Contrast Masking

  • From: Sauerwald Mark <mark_sauerwald@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 09:59:16 -0800 (PST)

The discussion on split grade printing has been great
- thanks all.  I hope that I can get another
discussion like that going!

I have a negative which I believe calls for a contrast
mask, which I have never done.  The image is of a
footpath, under dense tree cover, with very intersting
roots on the ground.  Through a gap in the trees, you
can see a lake with the far shore.  When I print this
now, I give the footpath a 12s exposure, then burn in
the lake and far shore with an additional 60s exposure
- this gives me nice detail on the water surface and
far shore, while still keeping detail in the dark
sections on the footpath.

Problem is that when I burn in this much, it is near
impossible to maintain detail on the small parts of
trees that are silhouetted by the lake, and the near
shoreline shows the edge of the burn clearly, and I
never get it exactly right.

As I understand the technique - I would sandwich the
negative with a piece of film, and expose then develop
the film - then sandwich the negative, with the
positive mask for the final enlargment.  - Question
is, how do I go about figuring out the exposure and
development for the mask, and what film should I be
using? - If it makes a difference, the neg is 4x5 on
Tri-X.

Mark