[pure-silver] Re: Question on Contrast Masking

  • From: DarkroomMagic <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: PureSilverNew <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2005 19:36:44 +0100

First, figure out what exposure reduction you require. Let's say two stops.
Then, you need to expose and develop the mask to give you a negative density
range equivalent to two stops (0.6).

If you already have made a film exposure and development test for your
favorite film (highly recommended), this is simple. If not, trust the
manufacturers info in their technical literature. In any event, a
densitometer is a very useful tool for this.

If all else fails, try to experiment and start with modest exposures and
short development times in normal developers.

To start with the subject, you may download a free chapter of our book 'Way
Beyond Monochrome' from

www.darkroomagic.com

You'll find it as a pdf in the Book section.

Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht