[pure-silver] Re: Under exposed frame

  • From: Brian Reynolds <reynolds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2005 16:14:52 -0500

Richard Knoppow wrote:
>    The key thing is to keep track of the temperature of the
> iron. Many have thermostats. Measure the temperature with
> something like a meat thermometer so that it is at the
> temperature specified for the mounting material. It will
> cool a bit when you begin to iron the tissue. A massive iron
> will hold its temperature better than a light one. If you
> use a steam iron make sure there is no water in it.

I don't dry mount my prints, but another option might be to go to a
hobby shop and look at the covering irons.  Many flying model
airplanes use heat strunk films over a balsa structure.  There are
covering irons of various sizes and temperature ranges and iron
thermometers sold for the different brands of covering.  Monokote and
Coverite are two brands of covering.  The covering irons are smaller
than a clothes iron and have non-stick coatings.

--
Brian Reynolds                  | "It's just like flying a spaceship.
reynolds@xxxxxxxxx              |  You push some buttons and see