[iyonix-support] Re: Problem installing Firefox-2-r2

  • From: Jeremy Brayshaw <jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 11:35:21 GMT

In message <4ec2d80d14alan_calder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Alan Calder <alan_calder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In article <4ec2d31829steve.pampling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Steven Pampling
> <steve.pampling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> [Snip]
>
>> There is a saying about giving a man a fish and feeding him for a day,
>> but give him a rod and line and teach him to fish and you feed him for a
>> lifetime. Paul was handing out fish.
>
> So you give a man a rod and a line then you give him instructions on how to
> cast the line (we're looking for trout here).  So of he goes but strangely
> gets no fish.

I don't think we're even getting that far. Using your analogy, I think
I have been led to a pool full of fish. I have no idea how to get
them. Paul has come along and got the one I was looking at out for me.
Then he gets slated and told he should leave me alone to let me invent
my own rod, build it out of nothing at all with no skills, then teach
myself how to fish.

In the meantime, I think "Hang that - I'm no inventor, engineer or
fisherman. I'll go to the supermarket and buy a fish!"

So following that format, we lose everyone who just wants to use their
computer, to systems where such impossible demands are not made of
them.

So, lets be constructive rather than destructive, and see if there is
a way to bring about what Peter is looking for.

Whilst I agree with Peter's sentiments, I still question his methods
to bring them about. Friendly, constructive invitations to help in
specific ways are far more likely to be effective. So, Peter, you have
already stated that money is not the most important input we can give,
so I have to take you up on your offer to spell out precisely what
support you're asking for, and precisely what we non-technical
individuals might consider we're able to do. Not in an aggressive or
resentful way, but as cheerful invitations of very precise detail.
Then maybe others here can see the list and say "yes, I can do that
one".

--
Jeremy Brayshaw