[iyonix-support] Re: Problem installing Firefox-2-r2

  • From: Peter Naulls <peter@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2007 06:28:19 -0800

In message <4ebebcd694lists-nospam@xxxxxxxxx>
          Paul Vigay <lists-nospam@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In article <b3448abe4e.peter@xxxxxxxxxx>,
>    Peter Naulls <peter@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [Snip]

You've snipped the most important parts, predictably.

> > I would hope you've read the help which asks you to _not_ send such
> > reports.  There really isn't much I can do with 100 emails from people
> > telling me that they cannot start it, and reporting the same issue. It's
> > unlikely you could tell me anything I didn't know, unless I've
> > specifically asked for some information from an individual.
>
> Hence my quick introductory article on RISCOS.org (to which I welcome any
> comments as to accuracy etc).
>
> I'd rather write some quick notes to help people overcome some initial
> hurdles so that they can at least get Firefox up and running. That way
> they'll see what it looks like instead of thinking, "Oh that's far too
> complex to install and it doesn't work properly anyway", which is more
> likely to turn newcomers away.

No, you've just completely ignored most of what I've said, and just
responded to the bits which match your reality.  Read _again_ why I said
it's complex to install.  Read _again_ why such things are never helpful
in the long run.  Read _again_ what really needs to be fixed instead of
providing superficial fixes.

> We need documentation for both ends of the knowledge spectrum. It's all
> well and good having documentation on how to compile things, but some
> people also like instructions on how to get things out of the box in the
> first place.

You're chopping up my comments to serve your own actions, and I do not
appreciate this.  The compiling documentation and usage documentation
are two different things.

None of what you've done solves the underlying problem - which would
avoid having the need to have such instructions in the _first_ place.

> I like to think that some of my tutorial articles help those who don't
> necessarily have the skills, time or inclination with jumping in at the
> higher end of programming and compiling additional utilities etc.

Specious.

Instead now we have documentation which has been made seperately from
the developer, contains inaccuraries, is likely to become out of date
(for the bits which are correct), and only adds to the general
confusion.  Another own goal for RISC OS.   Am I annoyed - yes.  And I
get to look like a big monster for pointing out serious problems that
RISC OS has, but Paul looks like a hero for providing a flawed
short-term fix that looks like (but isn't) the right thing to do.

--
Peter Naulls - peter@xxxxxxxxxx        | http://www.chocky.org/
RISC OS Community Wiki - add your own content   | http://www.riscos.info/