[iyonix-support] Re: Problem installing Firefox-2-r2

  • From: Steven Pampling <steve.pampling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 07:43:52 +0000 (GMT)

On 13 Mar, Jeremy Brayshaw <jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Ah, now I begin to understand. You want people to see a tantalising
> glimpse of your software, but then to make it is so difficult to get
> working without "packaging" that they all cry out "We want packaging".

Just one aspect as I understand it.
Each time these things come up people seem to focus on just the one aspect
without looking at the overall.

> However good (or bad) "packaging" might be, I'm not sure deliberately
> making software difficult to use without it is the best way to
> convince people. I seem to recall 'packaging' has been discussed many
> times at length in the forums, and not everyone seemed to agree with
> your view of how important it is. I don't think using brute force to
> impose your views on people is the best way to go about things, but
> maybe it will work.

The problem being that people (again) focus on one aspect - in this case
the perceived shortcomings of the packaging. Did anyone try to help to
improve the packaging or did they try to "re-invent the wheel"?

> To return to your analogy of a water supply miles away. The reason I,
> and many like me, carry buckets of water back and forth is because not
> only do we not have a pipe, but we also wouldn't know how to construct
> the pipeline. I, for one, welcome Paul's efforts to produce a
> 'conveyor belt' for these buckets.

There is a saying about giving a man a fish and feeding him for a day, but
give him a rod and line and teach him to fish and you feed him for a
lifetime. Paul was handing out fish.

My 2 pennorth.
I will not contribute further in this thread.

--

Steve Pampling