[iyonix-support] Re: Problem installing Firefox-2-r2

  • From: Peter Naulls <peter@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 19:35:52 -0800

In message <a43c7dc24e.SoftInfo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Jeremy Brayshaw <jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <b05071c24e.peter@xxxxxxxxxx>
>           Peter Naulls <peter@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > In message <e0e5f6c14e.alan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >           Alan Leighton <alan.leighton2@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> Time gentleman please
> >
> > And that's meant to imply what?
>
> To me, it implies people are fed up of the bickering and arguments and
> want them to stop. A fair enough request, and one I'm happy to comply
> with. What did you take it to mean?

A trivialisation of the issue, which is very much what I wrote and you
snipped.

> >  I would much prefer that you take my
> > comments seriously, rather than suggest they're just me getting angry.
>
> What I understand from your posts is that you are concerned that
> helping others use your software by writing a detailed set of
> instructions to load/use it, is not helpful or constructive. Instead
> of people using your software (or at least helping others to use it),
> you want them to help iron out the wrinkles.

That is but one of many things I said.

> Is my understanding right? (If I'm wrong, please don't simply say
> 'read what I said' referring me to previous posts. Rather, it would be
> helpful (to me, at least!) if you could expain again the situation as
> you see it, and what you're asking of this group.)

I wrote extensively.  If there's something unclear, please quote it, and
I will explain.  The issue is more than Firefox.

> If so, I suspect the readership of this group does not include any
> people with the skills (and/or time) needed to sort out software
> problems. I base this assumption on the fact that no-one has yet
> volunteered (that I know of).

I know for certain that that isn't true.

> So, if that statement is correct, is there a way us non-programmers
> can contribute to the project in a way that resolves these issues?

I've already named ample ways programmers and non-programmers alike can
do stuff.  Do you want me to repeat them again?   I suspect you do - and
I fear they'll be largely ignored like last time.  Again, this has
little to do with Firefox, and everything to do with attitude, and
solving problems in the correct way.

I know that some of you are business people and some of you are
engineers of various kinds.  Let me make an analogy that is appropriate
to both fields and also to software development.   Let's say a village
needs water from a location that is some distance away.  Do you cart
buckets all day, every day, until you bring enough water for the day?
No, you build a pipeline, with initial effort, which only requires
occasion maintainence, and lets you use your time more productively.

Packaging is a pipeline.  So is the autobuilding system I developed as
part of the GCCSDK project.   The various HForm hacks I mentioned are
all buckets, as are the other messes I named.   Paul's effort is a
bucket between two incomplete sections of pipe - a bucket that gets in
the way, even though he things he is being helpful.

--
Peter Naulls - peter@xxxxxxxxxx        | http://www.chocky.org/
RISC OS Community Wiki - add your own content   | http://www.riscos.info/