[iyonix-support] Re: Problem installing Firefox-2-r2

  • From: Steve Fryatt <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2007 19:59:26 GMT

On 5 Mar, Paul Vigay wrote in message
  <4ebeddcac4lists-nospam@xxxxxxxxx>:

> In article <5c6fd9be4e.peter@xxxxxxxxxx>,
>    Peter Naulls <peter@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [Snip]
>
> > Instead now we have documentation which has been made seperately from
> > the developer, contains inaccuraries, is likely to become out of date
> > (for the bits which are correct), and only adds to the general
> > confusion.  Another own goal for RISC OS.   Am I annoyed - yes.  And I
> > get to look like a big monster for pointing out serious problems that
> > RISC OS has, but Paul looks like a hero for providing a flawed
> > short-term fix that looks like (but isn't) the right thing to do.
>
> I still don't understand what you're getting at!
>
> Please be clearer as to what's incorrect about my article and I can
> amend it accordingly if necessary.

There are two points being made, Paul.  First, you've written a document
that isn't connected to Firefox and isn't under the developers' control.
If the Firefox situation changes, will you immediately update your guide?
What if you don't have time at that moment?  Elsewhere I suggested using
the Wiki for a similar reason, and you just rejected the idea out of hand.

The second is that Peter is suggesting that you (and others) help him
*fix* the problem rather than simply advising end users how to bodge
around the symptoms.  That is, instead of spending time writing the
documentation to help people around the rough edges, spend that time
helping to remove the rough edges altogether.  RISC OS developer time is a
limited resource, and the more of us who mess around at the edges (I'm
probably guilty too), the less useful work is done.

That doesn't seem too hard to grasp.

--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/