[haiku] Re: Rethinking the Haiku Distro Guidelines

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 19:29:27 +0200 CEST

> On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 8:00 PM, Christopher Walker
> <sven.hakonsson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > However, I am concerned by the fact that the trademarks are not
> > registered.
> > If Haiku were to get into a legal dispute, this fact could make it
> > all that
> > much harder for Haiku Inc. to win. :( It looks like the US office
> > for
> > trademarks has an on-line application that could be filled out;
> > should
> > someone who is part of Haiku Inc. consider submitting an
> > application
> > eventually?
>
> You are correct, registering the trademarks can certainly benefit us
> if we ever have a legal dispute.

Yep.
We had a discussion long ago about it with other devs but didn't get to
doing it.

> I took a peek at the fee schedule for registering a mark in the US a
> couple weeks ago (when this topic came up) and it didn't look too
> expensive - several hundred USD IIRC.

In my experience it's useful to check several ways before registering.
If we want to register in more than the US, the total price is
different depending how we do it.

For international registration (which is actually only to selected
countries), one has to first register nationaly, or for the EU you can
get a communautary mark, but it's more expensive.

> I think Haiku, Inc. should use some of the donation money to register
> its marks. I don't think anyone would disagree at this point that the
> marks are at least not likely going to change again any time soon ;)

+1

François.